Here are some general tips on how to care for cut flowers. They will extend their life several times over!
- By the time you bring the flowers home, they have been without water for a few hours and the stem ends have retracted. This prevents them from receiving any more water. That's why this point is the most important of all. Trim the flower stems at an angle to increase the water intake area. Use a sharp, clean knife or scissors to make a clean cut.
- Remove any leaves that will be submerged in water, as they can rot and produce bacteria that can damage the flowers.
- Use clean water in a vase that is large enough to hold all the flower stems. Change the water every day or every other day to keep it fresh and free of bacteria.
- Add floral fertilizer: Bags of floral fertilizer can help extend the life of your cut flowers.
- Keep flowers out of heat and direct sun: Keep your flowers in a cool place, away from heat and direct sun. This will help prevent wilting and drying out.
- Re-trim the stems: Re-trim the stems of your flowers every other day to ensure they are taking in water and nutrients.
Following these tips can help your cut flowers stay fresh and beautiful longer.